Crime Prevention is a pattern of attitudes and behaviors, directed both at reducing the threat of a crime, and enhancing the sense of safety and security, to positively influence the quality of life in our society and to help develop environments where crime cannot flourish.
The Purpose of Business Watch
To help establish a sense of community awareness among business proprietors in an effort to prevent crimes against businesses.
What is Business Watch?
- Business owners getting to know each other, taking time to care about each other and working together in a program of mutual assistance.
- Citizens being trained to recognize and report suspicious activities in their communities.
- Crime prevention strategies such as business security, Operation Identification and others, being implemented by citizens.
Why Business Watch?
There can’t be a law enforcement officer on every corner, so citizen involvement is essential to combat crime. You and your fellow merchants are the ones who really know what is going on in your community. By cooperating with each other and the police, people can help fight crime in their community in the most effective way:
Before It Begins!
Goals of Business Watch
- To improve communications between business proprietors and the Sheriff’s Office.
- To provide education and information to business proprietors to help reduce crime in targeted areas.
- To preserve and reclaim our business centers and to eliminate conditions that give rise to crime.
- To encourage business owners to utilize security measures to the fullest extent in order to deter crime.
- To solicit information and ideas from the public; which would increase the efficiency and effectiveness of the Business Watch Program.
The Principles of Crime Prevention
- Crime Prevention is everybody’s business.
- Crime Prevention is more than security.
- Crime Prevention is linked with solving social problems.
- Crime Prevention is cost effective.
- Crime Prevention requires a central position in Law Enforcement.
- Crime Prevention requires cooperation from all elements of the community.
- Crime Prevention requires education.
- Crime Prevention requires testing and improving.
- Crime Prevention improves the quality of life for every community, its business, and its residents.
Benefits of Reducing Crime
- Greater freedom and security for every person at home and in the community.
- Increased respect by all for the rights of all.
- Revived sense of civic responsibility as a natural and expected part of membership in the community.
- Healthier, more independent communities.
- Increased individual and collective pride in self and community.
Crime Prevention means working in partnership, rather than in isolation; working with concerned citizens to address ways to prevent crime. It means communities and individual citizens learning how to protect themselves and working together to keep their businesses and neighborhoods crime and drug free. It means law enforcement working with communities, businesses, and service organizations to develop action plans on information about crimes and other problems.
If you are interested in starting a Business Watch Program in your area, contact the Community Services Unit at 706-541-2856.